21 November 2006

Teacher's Ninth Day.

Despite completing my lecture an hour early today, I had plenty to talk to the students about regarding the job of surgical technologist and such. Lecturing on the specificities in ureteroscopy, reanastomosis and stent placement is one thing. They will need to know these things for continued maintenance of their jobs long from now. What I lectured on after the class ended on the G.U. system seemed so much more important.

When asked if the surgical technologists whom I knew where angry, spiteful, despondent, disenchanted or disgruntled with their positions or careers, I told them, “Yes.” This was not done to discourage or appease the students, nor was the intension of such an answer meant to cause resentment or placate to the positions of those whom I used as the model answer for their question. This answer I presented was by its own nature a characterization of the sort of person whom undertakes a livelihood enveloped in the care and management of instrumentation and techniques of surgery, neither in charge of nor subject to the outcome of a patient’s survivability. What I told my students this day was candid of a narrative as I could relate, based solely from the many impressions I have experienced in my four years of working as a surgical tech. They reacted as anyone placing their innocuous trust and meager finances would, flabbergasted.

“Why would anyone stay in such a job if that’s true?” they asked. “Who would think so lowly of their own career?” they insisted. My reply? “Those that let this job come before their lives, their families, their hopes and goals, or those that immerse themselves on the notion that no one else will ever do this job as well as they shall, are those whom allow the position of ST to become something of a lesser designation than human being. For that distinction is the greatest than any individual could ever hope to attain or distinguish upon another entity.”

May this be so for all positions and persons the world over.