16 November 2006

Movin' On Down.

On Tuesday I tendered my resignation to Labor & Delivery and accepted a full-time position in the main operating room at OHSU. My employer for the past 50 months took the news well. Below are my resignation letter and my, now former, manager's reply email:
To: Molly Blaser, MN, NP Tuesday, 14 November 2006

From: "Patch" Adam B. Perryman, CST, CNA

RE: Resignation

Dear Molly,

It is with no ease that, with this letter, I tender my resignation as the 0.9 FTE Night shift OB Technician for 12C Labor & Delivery. After 50 months of continued employment on your unit I am making the lateral move to return to the department of my origins at OHSU, the South Operating Room.

After speaking to my family and the department managers of the SOR, I have been offered a 1.0 FTE position that meets my needs in regards to my continued professional development, educational goals and personal interests. This decision was thought over for some months now. Though it may seem at first that there were mitigating circumstances lending to my desire in seeking a change in employ, I can say without contest that my primary motivation stems not from a lack of any one thing, but an interest in seeking out new challenges I feel better prepared for thanks to working on Labor & Delivery.

I will work through the next three weekends before starting my day shift orientation the second week of December. This places my final night shift on 12C for Sunday 3 December 2006 ending the morning of the fourth. You are a fine leader, Molly, and your team of educators and charge nurses are the cream of the crop in any hospital. I know that I am leaving a close-knit group of professionals and friends with whom I have grown very close. Working and talking with the residents and attending physicians has helped me to better appreciate every aspect of health care more deeply than I had in the past. This is simply the right time for me to make this change in my career as opportunity rears its head.

Thank you for everything and best of fortune in the future.

Respectfully,

“Patch” Adam B. Perryman, CST, CNA


------------- Reply -------------

Adam,

Congratulations on this exciting new time for you. I am excited for your new growth and I wish you all the best. You are an excellent OB tech and you will be greatly missed. May I forward your letter to the rest of the OB staff?

Molly
I wrote a card out to the floor informing them of my specific reasons for leaving and have to say that it's a bittersweet feeling to realize that I'm making this change. It's all for the best. There is nothing more for me on that unit and so much awaiting me everywhere else.