14 November 2006

Teacher's Eighth Day: Interior Discussion.

Class today was quite enjoyable, despite the awful news that the division director is on indefinate leave of absence following pleural effision and fluid draws that led to a diagnosis of pneumonia secondary to ovarian cancer. To Chris, her husband and family: all out suport.

It's amazing to me that since the election last Tuesday, what I read in the paper, hear on my podcasts, discuss breifly with the many people I just run into in shops or on the street, nearly everything is relating to the outcome of those elections. I get the sense nthat everyone's come out of their shells a little. Discussions are being to get robust about politics, policy, the effects of Iraq on everything, getting the troops home from there and Afghanistan, helping in Darfur, improving education... people are starting to talk about politics.

What's even more amazing to me is that the discussions are not just one-sided. At the Ugly Mug, I discussed the change of the Congress' majority party with a man who admited to putting a red stamp half-way down his ballot. He voted for Saxton, but against State Representative for District 49 Karen Minnis (R)-Wood Village saying that he works in Portland but lives out in ther in her disctrict. "She does a lot, but she's been holding up a lot of legislation that could be helping my kid in school and our property taxes at home," he told me. I asked him if her successful reelction would change anything despite the State Congress' handover to the Democrats (the first time Dems have had the majority in both houses in over 16 years). "Well," he paused and took a sip of his coffee then replied," I don't think that buisness her opponent made about an 11-year-old event she had nothing to do with helped his cause any."