14 August 2006

Mondays.

Many people that I know of cannot stand the thought of this days of the week, and why not?

You generally have to get up earlier than you had just the day before. Traffic is far worse than just 12 hours previously. People are in a “rush” and tend to be shorter on their temper. All in all, it’s a loser of a day. Try night shift.

My weekend is what the person previously described would say is his week. I work three twelve hour shifts, the same as his overtime (only I get none until the start of the thirteenth hour.) However, my Friday night is actually Monday morning. Think on that a moment.

My drive is constantly facing the sun (before work, sunset; after work, sunrise.) I get off work at 0730°, just as the suburban traffic begins its great emergence toward downtown. Management is at a minimum during the weekend. Working every weekend while others work every other one allows me to meet all of the shifts’ workers. Everyone knows me so I new people are not tough to discern. Not to mention how few people can get on my nerves because there is such a change in the rotation.

My wife and I enjoy weekdays off while others work from 8-5. Shopping’s easy and we hit sales and kitchy places when others are unavailable. It’s the best of all worlds.

Keep your Monday blues, my friends. I’ll keep heading toward the sun.