09 August 2006

Ten More Days.

Perhaps it is because I'm not required to take courses this term. If so, because of my long absence, the excitement of heading to campus in just over a week is starting to build a true sense of accomplishment in me. Next Saturday I'll be attending my undergraduate commencement at Portland State University after beginning my studies there in the winter of 2003. I wear my class ring both out of reminder for the accomplishment graduating with my degree holds, but out of memoriam for my late father. He graduated from Oklahoma University in 1948 with a Bachelors Degree in Pharmacy. That was all a person needed before getting a job in the field and a long time past since the advent of the PharmD. My family and some of my close friends will also attend and watch my ten seconds of joy when my name is called out and I accept my degree.

It's true that this is seen by many as the start of their education. That an advanced, graduate degree is the real accomplishment; and in many ways I can agree that this is true. However, until I achieve such a level of education, I will wear my ring, smile to my family and friends, and know that I did this, not just for myself, but because they believed I could accomplish it.