08 August 2006

Characters: Safeway

I'm going to start writing some short paragraphs as character sketches. These will be my interpretations on people that I happen to notice in places I visit. Nothing concrete, mind you. I could be completely wrong about who these people actually are, how they live, what they think, or why they may do as they will. However, as I recalled from the recent watching of the film V for Vendetta "Artists use lies to tell the truth while politicians use them to cover it up." Well, the story may or may not be true; but impressions of the characters get to be as I so feel they should, so long as they move along the story and it's message.

Time is a funny thing. How we weigh its value as so much greater when we have less of it than when it seems abundant. It makes me regret not spending my youth more fruitfully. It was easier to walk down the streets even just a year ago. That was before my hip surgery. The months of rehabilitation I edured to, even now, still have a twinge of pain everytime I step down with that leg. My stroller's rubber wheels show the wear from being pressed down into the concrete. The wire basket on its front dips ever forward from the groceries I load into it day after day. This short walk to the supermarket has been one of my favorite, daily activities for the last 13 years; and now I see them as such an effort just to get ready for them. It's funny to think that I thought so little of this trip and just enjoyed baking cupcakes for my grandchildren from the ingredients I'd get. Now, my daily walk is time that I spend wondering how they will spend their time, ample as it is now, before having to grow old and weary like I have. That, more than the prescriptions and practiced standing techniques makes this trip less of a chore and more of a means toward enjoying the time I have left.