10 August 2006

Directions Aplenty.

Writing in general, whether it is in a journal, on a typewriter or in this form (a blog) can be a most powerful tool. In the past few weeks that I've been creating posts here I've watched my sentences become increasingly heavy worded. Thinking about this I have begun to question the direction I wish to take this blog. Should I be writing about specific events in today's global news? Lebanon & Israel. Iraq. Darfur. Should I speak out on politics in the United States? Perhaps I could work on writing a novel online, with installments every other week. Or should I focus on my enjoyments in learning about space exploration, with links to recent findings? Finally, I could work on op-ed pieces for local issues and write commentary articles with the potential of getting a column. All are possible, but to diligently consider them all in a short span is only a way to create confusion.

Perhaps the most confusing, or time consuming idea of a blog, is that there are so many of them now. No one can read them all. Just establishing links to those news-worthy items (pictures, articles and the like) that the author sees fit to point out, can take time to research before posting. I think if I were to find a particular niche for my blog, then I would have the makings of something that I, and those whom I share this blog with, could enjoy.

One thing is for certain, I do not wish to become a writer that relies on diatribe. Too often these days, do I read blog authors who rely on "over-the-top" piquant commentary to arouse their readers' attentions. They cannot depend on maintaining their following over the long run with such hyperanaylsis. I equate suchoverbaring types with the repugnant tactics of Howard Stern & Rush Limbaugh: their "shock-jock" personalities. No, this will be a matter I need to ponder for a while. Until then, I'll continue to explore how my writing can improve and keep adding an idea every day.