20 October 2006

A Possible Direction.

This blog was originally created to keep me writing. Having been in school for so long, I found my desire to read books for pleasure, or solely for my own interest, had been scarce when compared to the multitude of required texts expected of me. This is neither a remarkable or unique experience since I imagine this is what happens to nearly all bibliophile college students.

Since graduating I've dropped some weight and gained some muscle. I'm learning to dance and be a loving husband. My employment is both plentiful and un encumbering. Most of all, I have read, and read, and some more. This summer I had the please of taking in over 20 books and three times that number in periodicals. My list was so long I needed four pieces of paper to write them all. Perhaps my enjoyment and isolation that came from being a college student, insulated me from the Weltschmerz of the world around me, but the reading I've done has more than caught me up with its activities and events. In so doing, this updating inspired me to return to writing without concern of subject or direction. Knowing from my education that the world is a vast and vibrant one, I'm slow to adapt to the idea that the world's gloom and doom propagated so vociferously by pundits is in fact the sole precursor to causality. In other words, I believe now, before I ever took a university course, that my father and kin were right: People are generally about as happy as they wish to be.

Bearing all of this in mind, I am coming to the realization that I'm not quite as happy as I'd like to be. This is true in my work (specifically my current job), my motivations for improving conditions around me, how I interact with others, my physical characteristics, and realizing a legacy in keeping with my moral and ethical standards. In short: I'm ready to do what my motivations are leading me to do.

This is not a country or world in the brink of disaster. It is one full of people with desire and prospect. I am fortunate enough to have a wonderful wife, family and all the other boons mentioned before; and now I'm ready to tackle the greater matters I've thought of in my youth as tremendous.

As I near my 100th post (due to come on the first of November) I will be writing more often about topics about which I feel particular pull. Such issues as the polarization of our country's two-party system, global climate change, space exploration and the privatization of commercial industries looking to capitalize on these matters of international and worldwide interest to name a few. I'm a small-town man from southwestern Oregon. I've lived here nearly my whole life. I don't claim to be someone with deep experience in matters concerning poverty, wealth, influence or social circles. Perhaps it is a lack of these traits that makes me one of the billions on this Earth that can claim expertise. We all share this land and sea and air together, and we will be our own gauge of success or failure in their preservation.