26 September 2006

Teacher's First Day

Learning is really a matter of good time management. If you take the time to observe everything around you, the interactions of other people, how people keep their homes, language use, the opportunities to learn from them are miraculous. Today was my first day of learning as a teacher, and I think I passed the quiz with at least a B+.

Despite attempting to be open with my students about the potential way to have breaks (trying to change the scheduled class outline to having a 1:40 lecture then a 1½° lunch period rather than :50 lecture, :10 break, lunch, repeat), my best intensions were squashed by the program director after the other lecture instructor was informed of this idea. Simply put, I walked over the line with an idea. Hardly could this be considered surprising or awe-striking to those whom know me, but it does show the potential of where this Tuesday event of mine may lead should the powers-that-be decide more for their methodology on teaching than my interpretation.

Still, this is my first time teaching, and for those around me it is another term in which potentially harrowing repercussions are more present than ever. Budget cuts, a lack of bond funds and the anticipated site visit by the accreditation agency CAAHEP have obviously made everyone much more on-edge than the norm. I understand entirely and defer to their logic. However, I learned something from my father some time in the past: by pushing hard at the onset of any endeavor requiring initiative and a lack of subtlety, the forces in resistance will eventually offer an equal an opposing force .This is generally a sustained force over time and expends a great deal of energy to maintain. Whereas the immediate burst of power and subsequent ease to maintain equal force or slightly less than what is being expended in resistance, makes the initiator’s role simple.

I plan to teach my way, within the rules. All the while I can learn what can be done correctly and what can be done to keep the “rules of teaching” slightly bent.