21 September 2006

Learning the Community College.

Next Tuesday will be my first day of teaching. Today, I have been called, with only a slight imposition, to meet with the surgical technology program director at Mt. Hood Community College to make certain all of my credentials are in place. Apparently the two earlier trips were not adequate for everything they needed despite my bringing all requested items or emailing scanned copies to them directly. I suspect that their strictness is directly related to the upcoming CAAHEP inspection of their surgical technology program in the coming months.

While I have prepared myself with reading materials on the subjects at hand and gathering supplies so that I might walk in knowledgeable and ready to learn from my students, the staff at MHCC have taken their summer off and left work to be done at the last moment.

This is a good lesson to learn when it comes to teaching: all cannot be done at once. Teaching, like learning, is a gradual process.