14 September 2006

Autumn Nears.

We have had our first small rain today. It's a sure sign that the summer break is finally ending for the college students and that all is returning from three months of frivolity to routine. I do love the rain though. It's a cleansing process to watch everything get the blanket of fresh water. The dirt and dust congealing into mud after having such freedom to blow along wherever the wind might take it.

In so many ways, people are the earth. We become tied into mires of our own creation: studies, employment, the desire for "things". The rain reminds us of the changing seasons. From the time of doing as we like to doing what we must. I hope it was a fruitful break, my friends. I know mine has been most restful and eye-opening.

--------------------------------------------

Later:

Thanks to the lovely weather, my wife and I took the chance to hit our favorite bookstore, Powells on Burnside and find a few reading materials for our edification. Having read Al Gore's latest, and realizing the high-level brevity that Powell's employees possess, I thought the display for his book was simply, perfectly photographic for all to enjoy.