24 January 2007

State of Disunion.

This statement alone is more than just a Texan's drawl or Blue Collar play on words. The President's State of the Union Address last evening continues to show that no matter whom advises him, how closely he listens, or how often his aides and cabinet members are caught in sound bites lying or obfuscating the situation or strategy on the Iraq invasion, The president’s course of action amounts to placing more men and women of the U.S. Military into harm's way.

Try a quote today by Vice President, Dick Cheney, quoted on CNN yesterday, discussing the Senate Foreign Relations Committee’s approval of a resolution opposing President Bush’s plan to send more troops to Iraq.
"It won’t stop us." - Vice President, Dick Cheney
No movement. No sympathy. No gravity given for ideas or arguments save those few who would offer none in opposition.

Why be so stubborn in the face of such opposition? And the argument for this is that "failure would be catastrophic." Is it just me or does this not sound exactly like the uncompromising tirades made by those leading the insurgency forces and death squads in Iraq?

My only question, the only one I have is this: What specifically is victory for everyone, Mr. President? Is it a tangible object? Is it an ideal that cannot be measured except by those who know it for the first time? Is victory the creation of a way of life for a group people that have never known it and will find adaptation to be as trying as anything imagined?

I support my country and countrymen here and abroad. My education and national thinking forbids me to simply accept matters as they are and continue without thinking for myself. My faith and nature demand I consider more than myself in most all matters of life and liberty.

We are keenly aware of what you and your administration considers winning. What is victory for all people, Mr. President? The terrorists win when those who follow one person's path convince everyone else that there is no other path to take.