25 July 2006

Rated ARRRRR!

Getting used to writing again is a hard thing for me. There was a time in my past when I did little else but write a short story or anecdote nearly every other day. That was when I did nothing else but write, work and sleep. There was little to no school involved, no charity work, and certainly no one of "dominating" interest in my life. Of course, I was also 15 years old and living with my mother while we cared for my aged and sickly father and grandmother, so the extent of my woes by all rights should have been limited to acne and lockerroom antics. Certainly, this wasn't the case.

Thinking back on those days reminds me that even when things are both less numerous and more difficult, the many little things that bother me today receive so much more appreciation in how easy they are to overcome.

Last evening my wife and I took in the movies: Pirates of the Caribbean 2. I thought of how simple a thing it is to go to a movie with her. How these last two years together have been hardly any work at all. I don't mean to say that marriage is a simple commitment, meet the girl, fall in love, run to the altar, I do, you do, rings, a kiss, and you're off. No, I mean that when you have one great matter that's so easy to focus on, everything else seems trivial in it's burden. My bills, five day work week (12 hours a day mind you), medical and exercise routines, all of that receives more attention to details when you don't have to worry so much on the certainty that comes from things like real love and commitment.

Bah, I'm just going off. Since few will ever read this though, I'll relish the idea that I can get back into writing again. Someone, somewhere might think this is a deep and philosophical point. To those of you that do, I can certainly appreciate what you're going to do with this line of thinking.

It just makes sense to worry less about the bigger things. They tend to be sure bets in the long run anyway.